Colonel Matthew J. Bradley is the Commander, 53rd Wing, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. The wing is comprised of more than 2,600 military and civilian personnel across 69 units at 18 diverse locations throughout the United States. The 53rd Wing conducts fighter, bomber, combat search and rescue, and remotely- piloted air vehicle operational testing, evaluation, and tactics development. Additionally, the wing is responsible for the Air Force’s Weapons System Evaluation Program as well as electronic warfare optimization and reprogramming for fighter and bomber weapons systems.
Col. Bradley is a 1997 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. He completed pilot training at Sheppard AFB and Introductions to Fighter
Fundamentals at Randolph AFB. After completion of F-15C training at Tyndall AFB, Fla., he was assigned to RAF Lakenheath, UK. Following his first
operational assignment, he instructed in the F-15C at Tyndall AFB, Fla. Col. Bradley then graduated from the United States Air Force Weapons School in
2005 and served as the squadron and wing weapons officer at Mountain Home AFB, Idaho. Following operational flying, he was the F-15C Division Command for the 422 Test and Evaluation Squadron at Nellis AFB, Nev.. Col. Bradley then graduated from the National Defense Intelligence College, Bolling AFB, Washington D.C., in 2010. After attending school, he was Chief of Air Dominance for the Deputy Undersecretary of the Air Force for International Affairs, Pentagon. While at the Pentagon, Colonel Bradley deployed for a year to the 609th Air Operations Center, Al Udeid, Qatar where he served as the Chief of Strategy Guidance. Upon returning to the F-15C, he became the Director of Operations and then Commander for the 83d Fighter Weapons Squadron, Tyndall AFB. Following command, Colonel Bradley graduated from the Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resources Strategy, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C., in 2017. He is a veteran of Operations SOUTHERN WATCH and NOBLE EAGLE.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautical Engineering, USAF Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. 2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala
2005 United States Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2009 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2010 Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, National Defense Intelligence College 2012 Air War College by correspondence
2017 Master of Science, National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School
- July 1997 – February 1998, Section Commander, 55FS, Shaw Air Force Base, S.C.
- March 1998 - April 1999, Student Pilot, Sheppard AFB, Texas
- May 1999 - July 1999, Student Pilot, Intro to Fighter Fundamentals, Randolph AFB, Texas
- July 1999 – January 2000, Student Pilot, F-15C Basic Course, 2 FS, Tyndall AFB, Florida
- February 2000 – January 2003, Chief of Scheduling, 493 FS, RAF Lakenheath, UK
- February 2003- December 2004, WG Electronic Combat Pilot/Flight Commander, 325 OSS/2 FS, Tyndall AFB, Florida
- January 2005 – June 2005, Student Pilot, USAF Weapons School, 433 WPS, Nellis AFB, Nevada
- July 2005 – June 2007, Squadron/Wing Weapons Officer, 390 FS/366 OSS, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
- July 2007 – June 2009, F-15C Division Commander, 422 TES, Nellis AFB, Nevada
- July 2009 – June 2010, Student, National Defense Intelligence College, Bolling AFB, Washington, D.C.
- July 2010 – July 2011, Air Dominance Chief, Deputy Undersecretary of the Air Force, International Affairs, Pentagon, Washington,
- July 2011 – June 2012, Strategy Guidance Chief, 609 Air Operations Center, Al Udeid, Qatar
- July 2012 – August 2012, Student, F-15C Transition Course, 114 FS, Kingsley Field, Oregon
- August 2012 – December 2013, Director of Operations, 83 FWS, Tyndall AFB, Florida
- January 2014 – June 2014, Deputy Commander, 53 WEG, Tyndall AFB, Florida
- June 2014 – June 2016, Commander, 83 FWS, Tyndall AFB, Florida
- July 2016 – June 2017, Student, Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy, Ft. McNair, Washington, D.C.
- June 2017 – June 2019, Chief, Force Application Division, Joint Staff, J8, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
- July 2019 – July 2021, Commander, 3 OG, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
- July 2021 – Present, Commander, 53 WG, Eglin AFB, Florida
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 1,600 hours
Primary Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38A, AT-38B, F-15 C/D, F-22
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1997
First Lieutenant May 1999
Captain May 2001
Major Dec 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Mar 2012
Colonel April 2018
(Current as of July 2021)